Re: Symbolic links to db files?

From: Robert DuMoulin <rdumouli_at_lanier.com>
Date: 1995/06/19

Greg Tupper (gtupper_at_monkfish.nosc.mil) wrote:
: Hardware: HP9000/755
: Disk : 2-2GB fastwide scsi disks, 1-1GB Eisa (system disk)
: OS : HP-UX 9.01
: RDBMS : Oracle 7.0.15

: I would like to spread my database across several disks on my
: primary system. I will be able to bring down the database to
: move the files. What I was planning on doing is:

: Shutdown the database.
: Move some of the database files to another disk.
: Make symbolic links to the files in their former directory.
: Start up the database and let it run.

: I have run this setup on a backup database and not had problems. The
: database startes up without complaining, and I am able to query the tables.

: Does this pose any problems that I have not encountered?

: Thanks in advance.

: Greg Tupper
: gtupper_at_nosc.mil
: SAIC Comsystems.

That approach is SOP on any Unix boxes I've worked on. It makes maintenance of data files easier because you let Unix handle it. As far as Oracle knows, the files are in the same place.

   ..uu.
  ?$""`?i             %%          #include <corporate_disclaimer.h>
  `M  ._at_"             M           #include <personal_disclaimer.h>
  'Z :#"    .MPT8o   .6           #include <typological_denial.h>
  '&H?`     X    k.  <d           #include <release_liability.h>
  d#`*L    :R    b:  ?*Pd9b       #include <random_precision.h>
,!">  5.   #l    X.  X:   L#      #include <thanks_randy.h>
   >  'M   $L   `E   69   E#      #include <flame_bait.h>
   k   `h  ^bo.dB'  % HXbXP