Symbolic links to db files?

From: Greg Tupper <gtupper_at_monkfish.nosc.mil>
Date: 1995/06/16

Hardware: HP9000/755
Disk    : 2-2GB fastwide scsi disks, 1-1GB Eisa (system disk)
OS      : HP-UX 9.01
RDBMS   : Oracle 7.0.15

I would like to spread my database across several disks on my primary system. I will be able to bring down the database to move the files. What I was planning on doing is:

Shutdown the database.
Move some of the database files to another disk. Make symbolic links to the files in their former directory. Start up the database and let it run.

I have run this setup on a backup database and not had problems. The database startes up without complaining, and I am able to query the tables.

Does this pose any problems that I have not encountered?

Thanks in advance.

Greg Tupper
gtupper_at_nosc.mil
SAIC Comsystems. Received on Fri Jun 16 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message