Long Datatype Chaining

From: Rennick Sandra <t89003_at_isdserv.dehavilland.ca>
Date: 1995/06/15

We have a table that contains a column declared as long. We know that the data in the long column is causing extensive chaining to occur in the table. This table is being used by an application which only performs inserts and deletes. Because no updates are occuring, the PCTFREE on the table is defined as 0. Every night, a process runs that removes a large amount of the data out of the table. However, we are finding that the free blocks are not being used very efficiently, and the table allocates new extents frequently.

Does anyone know if chained blocks remain chained together even when there is no data in them? Can anyone explain what is happening in this table?

We have been experimenting with PCTUSED, and it is now set to 80.

Thanks

Sandra Rennick Received on Thu Jun 15 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message