Re: DBA Job Description, anyone?

From: Marta Lord <marta1_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1995/06/15

In <438722008wnr_at_chaff.demon.co.uk> Peter Moore <pt_at_chaff.demon.co.uk> writes:

>In article: <3rl3v3$4rg_at_ixnews3.ix.netcom.com> marta1_at_ix.netcom.com
(Marta Lord ) writes:
OTHER REQUIREMENTS
This position requires 5 - 7 years of database experience, three with relational databases and transaction processing systems, plus a college degree or the equivalent. The ability to express complex technical concepts effectively, both verbally and in writing is critical for this position. Also required is the ability to work well with people from many different disciplines with varying degrees of technical experience.

>Maybe it's just a personal gripe, but I don't really hold with
specifying a particular level of education with respect to a job. Some DBA positions I've seen advertised insist on a degree but don't mind if you have a BA in Medieaval English Literature. Some insist on a Computer Science BSc, but a graduate with those skills certainly would not necessarily know about database structure. Ten years ago the sort of courses taught where I went to college were more about logic theory and writing compilers.

>IMO, if you have two candidates of the same age who have worked in
databases through their working lives the one _without_ the degree is likely to have three years more experience.

>Don't get me wrong - of course you can have a degree and be a great
job candidate, but I think that employers nowadays put too much emphasis on pieces of paper rather than the skills that the
>candidate has to offer.
>
>PS - I'm _not_ writing from bitter experience. I'm studying for a
 degree part-time, for my own interest (astrophysics).

>Regards,
>Peter
>

>>| PETER MOORE | pt_at_chaff.demon.co.uk |

You know, Peter, I agree with you and that's why we specified 'a college degree OR the equivalent'. My shop does not require a degree for this position, however, if we had to choose between equally experienced candidates, one with a degree, the other without... the one with the degree would likely be chosen.

When preparing this job description, there was also some discussion as to how many years of database experience are required. Does the fact that a candidate coded IMS on a mainframe for five years in addition to three years of DB2 administration better qualify them to administer an Oracle database than a candidate who has been administering Oracle for the last three years with no other IS experience? I'd like to hear any thoughts on this...

Thanks, Marta Received on Thu Jun 15 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message