Re: DBA Job Description, anyone?

From: <under_paid_at_high_stress.com>
Date: 1995/06/12

>>> Originally, whitney_at_en.com (Nancy C. Whitney) wrote:
>>>

>>>I need to put together a job description for an Oracle DBA. Does
>>>anyone have a job description for such a position?
>>>
>>>Regards,
>>>
>>>Nancy
>>>

>>In article <3rb38o$9op_at_ns2.glf.com>, rmccalli_at_glf.com replied...
>>
>>Under paid, over worked, high stress, blamed for everything that goes
>>wrong including loose nuts behind keyboard.
>

>THEN, whitney_at_en.com (Nancy C. Whitney) said:
>
>You must be slow, ineffective, and screw up a lot if that is the
>way your job is!
>
>I do not need a job description for that sort of DBA. I need a
>job description for a senior level DBA who is competent and
>professional.
>
>As for you - get back to work and quit doing strange things with your
>nuts behind the keyboard.
>
>Nancy

Hey Nan,

Loosen the bun in your hair; remove that tight girdle; take a break; DO SOMETHING but please--get a grip!!! Clearly >>YOU<< are over worked and much too stressed out to miss the *obvious* humor in that reply. I'm sure every DBA who read the reply laughed as most (all?) have felt that way at least once in their careers.

Your request for a DBA job description is prima facia evidence that you are generally clueless as to what a DBA does, much less what a DBA encounters from those who don't understand, appreciate, or care about the many technical battles we must fight, alone, day and night just to "keep things up 7x24 and running smoothly." The job of a [good] DBA is rather difficult to master which is why I suppose there are so many folks like you looking to find [good] DBAs.

Lets not further widen the chasem that always seems to exist between everyone and those who don't understand their job--whether an HR jock, Management type, DBA maven, or whatever.

Regards,

Another "Under paid, over worked, high stress" DBA Received on Mon Jun 12 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message