Re: 2G limit on tablespaces

From: Nick Rice <Nick_at_blarite.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1995/06/11

robertp_at_crux.csis.dit.csiro.au (Robert Andrew Power) writes:
: I've just installed Oracle 7.1.6 on a SPARC 20 Dual Processor
: with a 6Gb Storage Array running Solaris 2.4.
:
: When I create a tablespace of size 2048M it fails, but if I
: create one of size 2047M everythings fine.
:
: Is there a 2G limit on creating tablespaces in the documentation and
: I've missed it - or is somethng weird going on with my installation?
:

I don't know about file size limits, but do you need the *files* to be that big? A tablespace can have a number of data files, so you could, for example, have 2x1G datafiles.

(If a nice round number like 2048M, rather than 2047M, is important to you, then is it because you've multiplied up the size of the extents you're going put in it and they will fit nicely in 2048M but not 2047M? If so, don't forget to add in the 1 Block overhead on datafiles, otherwise you'll have a chunk of space at the end that is 1 block to small to get allocated. eg if block size=2K and extent sizes = 100M, then datafile to hold 10 extents needs to be 1000M + 2K = 1024002K.)

--
Nick Rice