Export and Import Utility

From: Stan Novinsky <stan_novinsky_at_jhuapl.edu>
Date: 1995/06/09

This may seem like a strange idea, but this is required in a project that I am currently working on.

We have a requirement to allow a user, at any point in time, save data to a tape device (ie. TK50, TF85, DAT, etc) and be able to restore it (archive/restore) back to the DB for viewing. The data will be located in tables within our database. The question(s) is/are:

  1. Is it possible to use the Export utility from an application program or from an Oracle Form that will extract the data directly to tape.
  2. Can the Import utility be used to restore the data on tape back to the database so the user can view th archived data.
  3. Or, do we have to extract (select) the data, foramt it to a standard VMS file, and then use a VMS Ssytem Service to copy it to tape.

I guess a major question is,

  Can the data be restored back to the original tables or should a   set of tables be set up to allow the archived data to be resored   into them for viewing .

Thanks for any info/input

stan_novinsky_at_jhuapl.edu

OpenVMS 6.1
Oracle  7.1