Re: Backup strategy

From: Ernest Yik <ernestyik_at_cuhk.hk>
Date: 1995/06/09

On Tue, 06 Jun 1995 22:30:34 -0500, mreagan_at_fast.net wrote:

:> I believe recovering up to the time of crash is not possible if
:> the archived redo logs are also damaged together with the drive failure?

: Yes, this is correct. This is a CRITICAL point that can screw you up BIG
: TIME if you don't pay attention to this: Put your archive logs onto their
: own volume.

        In our configuration there is only one physical device to store everything, including the data files, redo logs and archive logs. However this is an RAID-5 disk array and hope that it will be stable.

: I back up my archive log destination each evening onto an optical juke box
: and to tape.

        One more question. How often will you "clean up" the archived log files? Say if you backup the archive logs every night, will you immediately remove those backed-up logs from your hard disk, or will you keep all backed-up logs in their place until the next hot/cold backup of the whole database?

: However, if you run out of archive log space, your
: database will stop in its tracks and wait for you to free up more space by
: backing up archive logs and removing them from the destination.

: However, NEVER EVER EVER EVER bring your database up in anything OTHER
: THAN ARCHIVE LOG MODE once you are operating in archive log mode. You
: will immediately invalidate your recovery strategy.

        Thanks for reminding.

: Hong Kong, eh? I was BORN there back in '64. My mom says the labor was
: cheaper, but I don't buy it (sorry, unintentional pun the second time).

        Labor's not cheap now. Labor intensive jobs are moved up to mainland China.

Regards,
Ernest Yik.

--
 * Origin: VAXlab : Home of Ernest * Hong Kong * Internet: ernestyik_at_cuhk.hk