Re: Conversion from Pick?

From: Barry Roomberg <barry_roomberg_at_iacnet.com>
Date: 1995/06/08

In article <darren.802466274_at_bert.cs.byu.edu>, darren_at_bert.cs.byu.edu (Darren L Davis) says:

>I am looking for information from anyone who has experienced converting
>a large legacy system from a Pick operating system to Oracle. I am
>looking for good or bad experiences, as well as problems encountered
>in converting multi-valued and sub-valued records to parent-child
>tables.
>
>I have heard of a few cases where a company has started to make the
>conversion, but it became too cost prohibitive, and they have had to
>abandon the project.
>
>Any comments or experiences would be appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Darren Davis
>darren_at_bert.cs.byu.edu

Done it.
Wrote various programs to examine the Pick dictionary and create my SQL create statements. We actually have multiple comma separated entries in some fields (yeah, I know it's "BAD", but it works) to I didn't have to deal will sub-values.

Was around 4 years ago, and I thank still God everyday that I never have to deal with Pick again! (well, maybe not everyday) Received on Thu Jun 08 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message