Re: Backup strategy

From: <mreagan_at_fast.net>
Date: 1995/06/06

In article <3qvebd$9bu_at_jalisco.optimum.net>, tim_boemker_at_zacatecas.optimum.com (Tim Boemker) wrote:

> Is it strictly necessary ever to make cold backups? I have limited
> confidence in hot backups, so I make cold ones, too, but I thought the
> Oracle doc suggested that hot backups were not necessary in archivelog
> mode.
>
> Tim Boemker
> Optimum Group
> (513) 577-7785

No, it is not necessary to make cold backups. Hot backups will do fine. I, however, have the luxury of being able to shut the database down Friday nights/Saturday mornings. I sleep better knowing that I have a complete, self-contained database on tape that does not require recovery to start up. A hot backup is, by definition, an inconsistent database that requires recovery to be usable. Its not a big deal, but it makes me feel better.

This won't last long, tho. We are about to enter a crunch period in which I will lose the opportunity to shut down cold for about six months. It should be no sweat tho.

Matt... Received on Tue Jun 06 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message