Re: Full export on a 10G DB with 2G Unix FS limit?

From: Don Beusee <dbeusee_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1995/06/06

E A Macnaghten <ar02_at_dial.pipex.com> writes:
> nolan_at_pumpkin.tssi.com (Michael Nolan) wrote:
> >
> > I have a database which will be around 8-10 GB by mid-summer, running on
> > an AT&T GIS (NCR) 3430, UNIX SVR4. There is a limitation on this system of
> > 2G per filesystem. (I'm not sure but there may also be a limit of around
> > 2G per individual file, but at this point that is still academic. A future
> > release of UNIX is supposed to increase the FS limitation to around 8G.)
> >
> > So, if a 'full' export will produce a file in excess of the maximum size I
> > can create, how would I do one?
> > --
>

> You can compress the export in the following way
>
> mknod entire.dmp p
>
> compress < entire.dmp > entire.dmp.Z &
>
> exp system/system_password full=y file=entire.dmp .....
>
> rm entire.dmp
>
> This will create a compressed version of the dump which hopefully
> is less than 2G
>
> This is explained in more detail in the FAQ, but I cannot remember
> where it is..
>
> Yours ever
>

> Eddy

This is what we currently do. But you could also export to a raw devicedisk  or tape. If supported on your platform, you can have your sysadmin setup a virtual raw device (volume) large enough to hold the export file. The key is not to make a filesystem of it, which has the 2g limitation, but to export directly to the device.

Regards,
Don Beusee, Principal DBA, Oracle HQ Data Center. Received on Tue Jun 06 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message