Re: Full export on a 10G DB with 2G Unix FS limit?

From: E A Macnaghten <ar02_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: 1995/06/05

nolan_at_pumpkin.tssi.com (Michael Nolan) wrote:

> I have a database which will be around 8-10 GB by mid-summer, running on
> an AT&T GIS (NCR) 3430, UNIX SVR4. There is a limitation on this system of
> 2G per filesystem. (I'm not sure but there may also be a limit of around
> 2G per individual file, but at this point that is still academic. A future
> release of UNIX is supposed to increase the FS limitation to around 8G.)
>
> So, if a 'full' export will produce a file in excess of the maximum size I
> can create, how would I do one?
> --

You can compress the export in the following way

        mknod entire.dmp p

        compress < entire.dmp > entire.dmp.Z &

        exp system/system_password full=y file=entire.dmp .....

        rm entire.dmp

This will create a compressed version of the dump which hopefully is less than 2G

This is explained in more detail in the FAQ, but I cannot remember where it is..

Yours ever

Eddy Received on Mon Jun 05 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message