Re: Question: 'execute_query' in Forms 4.5

From: Dana Ludwig <MHFT59A_at_prodigy.com>
Date: 1995/06/04

> Problem is as follows: Before entering a block, I assign
>the primary key (of type VARCHAR2(30)) to some string (in the
>PRE-QUERY trigger). Then we 'execute_query', and the record
>corresponding to that key comes up. This works as long as
>the string assigned to the primary key does not contain
>characters such as '<', '>', etc. If the primary key contains
>such characters, Forms returns an error, saying something
>about improper comparison used in the query, or something
>like that. My guess is that it doesn't parse the query
>properly. Any suggestions?

The query-by-forms interface has as a "feature" the ability to enter ">10" as a value in a query, and that calls up all records for which that column value is greater than 10. You are probably bumping into that feature. To work around it, I suggest trying another feature: If you start an entry with '#', then everything else after that is put into the query literally. For instance, if you put in column 'MYDATE' the value:

   #between '01-jan-93' and '01-jan-94'
Then Forms will generate the WHERE clause logic:

          ...AND MYDATE between '01-jan-93' and '01-jan-94'... Received on Sun Jun 04 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message