Identifying ODBC connections/users

From: Michael Kelly <Michael_Kelly_at_dge.ceo.dg.com>
Date: 1995/05/30

I'm pretty sure that the answer to this question will be 'NO' but here goes anyway.
In a Client/Server environment, it is possible to identify users who connect to the database (Oracle 7.1.4 SQL*Net 2.1.4) as ODBC users as opposed to users who are connecting from a PC based application that does not use ODBC? It has been suggested that it this were so it would be a way to prevent users from using something like MS ACCESS to see data that they shouldn't. I have looked at the V_$SESSION info but I don't think that it will provide enough information for my purposes.
I realise that a properly designed data model with object level privileges is the better way to solve the data security problem but first of all I need a properly designed data model....
I would welcome feedback from anyone who has been faced with a similar problem.
Many thanks,
Michael.

Michael_Kelly_at_dge.ceo.dg.com Received on Tue May 30 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message