Re: Need advice: small system platform & dba responsibilities

From: W. C. Epperson <epperson_at_pen.k12.va.us>
Date: 1995/05/29

CRMHERNDON (crmherndon_at_aol.com ) writes:
> Gail,
> both platforms are very good but take the following into mind.
>
> NOVELL:
> 1. Can buy a cheaper Workgroup/2000 server product with average
> database administration tools under microsoft windows.
>
> 2. Administrating the database is simple as long as the
> installation goes correctly.
But in general, LAN-server based (e.g. Novell, Banyan) database servers can be more difficult to problem-isolate and troubleshoot because they don't offer full "host" access to the database. You can spend a great deal of time trying to deal with a database that you presume down because you can't get to it (may be a transport protocol problem) or that you presume up because the server OS claims it is (it may be completely brain dead, but still appear to be running from the OS point of view. OTOH, if you have good network protocol support and a CNE-equivalent or two around, this may be a wash against supporting a Unix implementation.

> HP9000
> 1. very powerful platform if you want to do 20 plus concurrent
> users.
> 2. The database and tool will cost more becuase of the UNIX
> environment.

The new E-class platforms can be cost effective with fewer than 20 users. The database and tools will cost more, but offer more flexibility and robustness due to the Unix(-like) environment. A point sometimes overlooked in the HP quasi-Open Systems environment is that you tend to get better integration across all components and better support (if you pay for it) when the hardware and OS are from the same vendor. You give up _some_ vendor leverage in that situation.

We run Oracle on hp-ux and SCO Unix platforms. I tend to be well satisfied with the hp-ux stuff.

Regards,
W.C. Epperson
Senior S.E.
DBA Emeritus
Va. Dept. of Ed. Received on Mon May 29 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message