Re: NUM_ROWS in DBA_TABLES has no values

From: Joseph Bennett <bennettj_at_news-server>
Date: 1995/05/29

Karl Penney (aa651_at_ccn.cs.dal.ca) wrote:
: I was trying to write a query to find the number of rows in some
: tables using the NUM_ROWS field on the dictionary table DBA_TABLES
: but all the values are blank. I can't use count(*) on the tables
: themselves because I need to join the results to some other dictionary
: tables to get other info. Why is the NUM_ROWS field blank and how can
: I get is populated with real data.

Unfortunately, these are filled when you use the ANALYZE command. If you don't do the ANALYZE command, then this information is not available to you (or for that matter, to the Cost-Based-Optimizer).

: --
: DMR Group, Halifax, NS | | _/\_\ /_/\_ | |
: aa651_at_cfn.cs.dal.ca | | >___________< | |
: 74203.673_at_compuserve.com |______| | |______|

Have a great day....

--