Re: HELP: PC Oracle download from web. Not.

From: Noah Monsey <noah_at_indirect.com>
Date: 1995/05/28

alspaugh_at_hti.net (BirdMan) wrote:

>In article <3q9s68$787_at_feenix.metronet.com>,
> "Greg J. Janak" <gjjanak_at_metronet.com> wrote:
>|jhubbard_at_iquest.net (Jim Hubbard) wrote:
>|>
>|> I was able to download every file associated with PC Oracle from their
>|> web site, <URL:http://www.oracle.com> - *except* Po7win9.exe. All the
 ( snip
>|> Any help with this would naturally be very much appreciated. It's driving
>|> me nuts.

(snip)

An easy way to download the files, is to copy them to your Internet service provider first.

Log on to their Unix machine via telnet of a shell account. The ftp to ftp.oracle.com, then copy all the files that you want. If you want to download them all at one time, If you are using a shell account, you can put the file in a subdirectory then use sz or some othe zmodem to transfer them back to your pc. Once they are on your service providers machine you can also log in to your account using ftp.

It seems to me that transfering large files to the ISP first works well. If you consider everything that could go wrong with a transfer involving multiple pieces of equipment (routers, bridges, multiple hosts, etc . . .) it makes sense to do most of the transfer between two high speed hosts. Then you only have to deal with a few pieces of equipment during the final slow transfer to your pc.

  • ========= ========= ========= ========= Noah Monsey noah_at_indirect.com
  • ========= ========= ========= ========= The only dumb question is the one that you don't ask.
  • ========= ========= ========= ========= Oracle Master Database Administration, April 1992 Oracle Master Application Development, April 1992