Pro*C query problem

From: Nick Bailey <ee_d304_at_dcs.king.ac.uk>
Date: 1995/05/26

 I am having problems trying to get a query in my Pro*C program to acheive what I want it to. The query is as follows -

   EXEC SQL SELECT CNAME, CCLENGTH

            INTO cname, clength
            FROM COURSES WHERE CNAME=:name;

 where name is a string whose contents are variable on each invocation of the query.

 I have seen in the Pro*C users guide this being done, but only where name (or equivalent) is an integer...I need it to be a string. The above code doesn't produce any errors, but when I set name to a value that I know is in the table, the call still returns nothing for the other variables....am I doing this right???? Is it possible to use strings in the WHERE declaration??? Can anyone help??

Please mail me direct, I would appreciate any feedback on this, as the main reason for me using Oracle is that I can use it to search for data, and just have my program manipulate it.

Many thanks in advance to any replies,

Cheers,

Nick. Received on Fri May 26 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message