Dynamic SQL - a few questions

From: <wmperry_at_monolith.spry.com>
Date: 1995/05/25

Hello all,

  I am in the process of adding support for a few database engines to a few programs. I've got Sybase and MiniSQL done - they were fairly straightforward. I don't see a really clean way to do what is necessary in Oracle though (v7.1.6). The problem is that the SQL query is completely dynamic, from what machine they are accessing down to what tables and columns they want to retrieve.

  I don't see any nice and simple way to do this with oracle. In sybase, I can just do:

STATUS status  = dbgetrow(dbproc,nRow);
BYTE  *thedata = dbdata(dbproc,nCol);
DBINT  datalen = dbdatlen(dbproc,nCol);
int    type    = dbcoltype(dbproc,nCol);

  And then fiddle around with `thedata' based upon `type'.

  Is there any equivalent functionality in oracle? Or do I have to parse the SQL query and use `obndrv'?

  Also, is there a FAQ for this group, and/or a repository for sample code available via FTP?

-Bill P.

PS: Replies CC'd to me appreciated, news reading can be sporadic if I

    get real busy. Received on Thu May 25 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message