Re: ORA-1034 ORACLE not available

From: Fredrik Nyman <fnyman_at_nova.umuc.edu>
Date: 1995/05/19

In <3pfsla$ed_at_marvin.muc.de> won_at_colin.muc.de (Wolfgang Neubert) writes:

>I have installed ORACLE 7.1.4 on SCO ODT 3.0. After installation I
>created a new user won with sqldba. After that I can connect to the
>database with sqlplus only when I am logged in SCO as user
>oracle. When I log into SCO as user won I can not connect to Oracle
>as won nor as system. When I try it there comes the error: ORA-1034
>ORACLE not available ORA-7320: smsget: shmat error when trying to
>attach sga. AT&T .... Error:13:permission denied

>This seems to be a permission problem, but all files in $ORACLE_HOME
>have permission 644 or 755. So what is wrong ? Any help is
>appreciated.
Sounds like a permission problem indeed. Most likely you didn't run the root.sh installation script, which sets the appropriate permissions.

Most likely the oracle binary isn't setuid oracle, which it should be. Try to run the root.sh script, or just:

# chown oracle $ORACLE_HOME?bin/oracle
# chmod 6751 $ORACLE_HOME?bin/oracle

--
Fredrik Nyman  CACI  1120 G Street NW Suite 1000  Washington, DC 20005
"The Internet, for the uninitiated, is a collection of computer systems