Re: Using Oracle 6 and Oracle 7 simultaneously

From: Michael Huneycutt <mah_at_reaper.mitre.org>
Date: 1995/05/12

Keith Leng (keith_at_keithl.demon.co.uk) wrote:
: rife_at_aarlo.moffitt.usf.edu (Mike Rife) wrote:

: >>If we start Oracle 6 first and then Oracle 7, every time we try to open an
: >>instance with Oracle 7 we get error ORA-07279: spcre: semget error, unable
: >>to get first semaphore set.

: >Yes, it is possible to run both versions at the same time. You need to allocate more semaphors.
: >You do not have enough to support 2 databases running at once. To determine the number of
: >semaphors allocated do an "ipcs -a" and look at the semaphors section:

: The number of semaphores required is related to the processes
: parameter in the init.ora. So an alternative way around the problem
: would be to reduce this parameter if that is feasable at your site.

: Keith Leng (keith_at_keithl.demon.co.uk)
: Keith Leng (keith_at_keithl.demon.co.uk)

I agree with Keith, you might want to just reduce the parameter processes. Make sure you do not reduce it to low. Still needs to be the no. of users + oracle db processes. This way you will not have to take your machine down, until you are ready. I am currently working on a machine that has three Oracle 6 databases and three Oracle 7 databases. So everyone is more than likely correct that the problem is semaphore related.

Mike Huneycutt (mah_at_sequent.com) Received on Fri May 12 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message