Re: Using Oracle 6 and Oracle 7 simultaneously

From: Keith Leng <keith_at_keithl.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1995/05/11

rife_at_aarlo.moffitt.usf.edu (Mike Rife) wrote:

>>If we start Oracle 6 first and then Oracle 7, every time we try to open an
>>instance with Oracle 7 we get error ORA-07279: spcre: semget error, unable
>>to get first semaphore set.

>Yes, it is possible to run both versions at the same time. You need to allocate more semaphors.
>You do not have enough to support 2 databases running at once. To determine the number of
>semaphors allocated do an "ipcs -a" and look at the semaphors section:

The number of semaphores required is related to the processes parameter in the init.ora. So an alternative way around the problem would be to reduce this parameter if that is feasable at your site.

Keith Leng (keith_at_keithl.demon.co.uk) Keith Leng (keith_at_keithl.demon.co.uk) Received on Thu May 11 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message