Re: Automatically Replicating A Database

From: Kevin Jernigan <kjerniga_at_emergent.com>
Date: 1995/05/11

In article <3ordhs$p87_at_senator-bedfellow.MIT.EDU>, sturner_at_athena.mit.edu (Stephen Turner) wrote:

> >Replication is a more stringent method
> >of copying data from one database to another, and Oracle 7.1.6 supports
> >symmetric (two way) replication.
>
> Kevin,
> How is replication implemented in 7.1.6?
>
> Thanks,
> Steve Turner
I'll quote from Ken Jacobs' article in the latest issue of Oracle Magazine (May/June 1995):

"Where the application requires it, Oracle's replication architecture permits updating of the same data in different locations. For example, a retail chain whose locations each have their own customer databases may wish to allow updates of a customer's record at any location, as long as the changes pro[agate to all other locations. This type of application introduces the possibility of update conflicts, where two sites might update the same data to different values. In order to preserve data integrity, Oracle7 can automatically detect and resolve such conflicts with application-specific rules.

...Oracle7 release 7.1 supports all of these new distributed features in an integrated way, using stored procedures and triggers that execute within the Oracle7 server."

I hope this helps...Kevin J

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~ emergent: the parallel systems experts ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
kevin jernigan                                      415-567-8915 (p)