Re: Automatically Replicating A Database

From: Kevin Jernigan <kjerniga_at_emergent.com>
Date: 1995/05/10

In article <800084945snz_at_kheldar.demon.co.uk>, clint_at_kheldar.demon.co.uk wrote:

> I have just read the thread on Manually duplicating a database. I thankfully
> don't have to do that. I have to do it automatically. I have to keep a second
> database as a backup, so I am trying to use Online "Hot" backups of the first
> server and restore them onto the second.
>
> Has anyone got any better ideas?
>
> Ideally, both databases should be in line permanently, but a 24Hour lag is
> acceptable.

How about using Oracle Snapshots (available in version 7.0, working well in 7.1), or replication (also available in 7.0 and working well in 7.1)? Snapshots can be grouped together in 7.1, allowing you to synchronize the refreshing of multiple snapshots. Replication is a more stringent method of copying data from one database to another, and Oracle 7.1.6 supports symmetric (two way) replication.

  • Kevin J