Re: PL/SQL -> Ada (summary)

From: Don Vick <dvick_at_lanier.com>
Date: 1995/05/09

In article <3olno5$ial_at_news1.halcyon.com>, Patrick Ryan <pat_at_chinook.halcyon.com> wrote:
>The consensus is that Ada is similar to PL/SQL but different enough to
>require alot of recoding. Ada is more rigorous in coding style. The
>data constructs allowed by PL/SQL would require retooling (sometimes
>*lots* of retooling.) One addition I would add is that the concept of
>cursor loops that gets used alot in PL/SQL has no direct counterpart in
>Ada.

While the concept of looping through a cursor is not directly represented in Ada, the contruction of iterators is easy using packages. The package would have one function, probably called 'fetch'. The package initialization block can be used to open the cursor, so you just instantiate the package and start calling the 'fetch' function in your loop. I believe (Ada programmers please check me here) the 'close cursor' operation can also be made transparent. The end result is that the code that loops through the cursor is actually more concise than the equivalent PL/SQL code.

Thanks for the summary. That was an interesting discussion. :-) Received on Tue May 09 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message