Re: Auto shut down /start up

From: Bas Varkevisser <basvv_at_euronet.nl>
Date: 1995/05/09

tqs_at_sddpc.sannet.gov wrote:
>Can anyone tell me if there is a good automatic way to start up and shut down the an AIX RDBMS for a full backup. If I use Cron ho=
w can I keep the password hidden?

If you use the scripts dbstop that's in your $ORACLE_HOME/bin there will be no problem with passwords.

You can put the line:

su - <your-oracle-username> -c </your-oracle-home>/bin/dbshut

in the crontab of root.

Remember that Oracle will only shutdown when all users have logged off from the database.

So, donot put the dbshut command in the same script as you backup command. Otherwise your backup willnot start when users are still using the database.

A better way to backup Oracle is probably to make a full export of the database, and putting this full-export on a filesystem that is included in your system-backup routine.

Good luck. Received on Tue May 09 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message