Re: ORACLE Data Partitioning?

From: Wilhelm Olander <wo_at_dialog.se>
Date: 1995/05/09

In article <3o937p$qml_at_newsbf02.news.aol.com>, ARMSTEADM <armsteadm_at_aol.com> says...

>Try this.
>
>Create 4 different tables on 4 different disks. For instance:
> 1991 data - Disk 1
> 1992 data - Disk 2
> 1993 data - Disk 3
> 1994 data - Disk 4
>
>Then create a view:
> CREATE VIEW TOTAL_DATA AS
> SELECT * FROM 1991_DATA
> UNION
> SELECT * FROM 1992_DATA
> UNION
> SELECT * FROM 1993_DATA
> UNION
> SELECT * FROM 1994_DATA;
>

>I haven't used this, but I thought that this thoery may help if you're
>stuck.
>
>Michael Armstead

Not knowing the original question I want to issue a warning. A UNION allways has to check for (and eliminate) any duplicates. In this case the data seem to be spread in such a way that this check would be redundant. Therefore use UNION ALL.

--
Wilhelm Olander
Celsius IT System AB