Re: can datafile and logfiles be store on raw disk?

From: Jeff Gentry <jgentry_at_dbintellect.com>
Date: 1995/05/05

> Another thing is that you have to put *all* the database on the raw device. To my
> knowledge you can't have your database on a raw device and then mirror the redo
> logs and control files to a file system. (If anyone knows different, I'd like to know).

Actually, you can place the datafiles on raw and the control files and/or redo logs in a filesystem. I have successfully done the following:

HP T500 HP-UX 9.04 with Oracle 7.0.16 and Oracle 7.1.3

     Datafiles - Striped, raw logical volumes
     Redo logs - File system
     Control files - File system

Pyramid Nile 150 with Oracle 7.1.4
     Datafiles - Striped, mirrored, raw logical volumes
     Redo logs - Striped, mirrored, raw logical volumes
     Control files - File system

Jeff Gentry
Systems Consultant
dbINTELLECT Technologies
Plano, Texas, USA
jgentry_at_dbintellect.com

Disclaimer: Stated opinions are personal and

             not necessarily held by my employer. Received on Fri May 05 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message