Re: B-TREE management under Oracle AIX3.2.5

From: Bruce Pihlamae <pihlab_at_cbr.hhcs.gov.au>
Date: 1995/05/02

In article <3noeo6$g93_at_snlsu1>, faraldi_at_montrouge.sc.slb.com (Yen Bach-Faraldi) writes:
> We have a performance problem due to I/O requests on an index.
> Our index is composed by two columns ( number(19), date ).
> Our B-TREE is composed by 215458 Leaf/blocks, 3698 Branch/blocks.
> We have 7398854 LEAF/rows.
> Our block size is 2048 Bytes.
> Our application is working on an RS/6000 580
> Our index's access is completely random, so we do not have
> a lot of chance for working with database buffers in SGA and
> the worst is that Oracle's DBWR is always reorganizing his B-TREE.
> Does anybody have an idea to improve our performance or
> do you think taht we reached the highest oracle's performance ???
> Any of your comments are welcome.

You might consider the HASH indexing scheme rather than the B-TREE indexes. If your data access is completely random as you say then that should reduce your index overheads to a minimum.

You have to convert your table to a CLUSTER though.

--

Bruce...        pihlab_at_cbr.hhcs.gov.au

* Bruce Pihlamae  --  Database Administration                     *
* Commonwealth Department of Human Services and Health            *
* Canberra, ACT, Australia                        (W) 06-289-7056 *
* These are my own thoughts and opinions, few that I have.        *

"The more complex the argument gets, the easier it is to refute."
"Killing is wrong!"  -- Trent 'The Uncatchable' Castanaveras