Re: [Q]Any diff using Synonym vice Fully Qualified table Name?

From: Ian Bainbridge <bainbridge_i_at_perc03_at_bgers.co.uk>
Date: 1995/05/01

In article <1995May1.122506.13774_at_newton.ccs.tuns.ca>, James Richard writes:
::Newsgroups: comp.databases.oracle
::From: James Richard
::Subject: Re: [Q]Any diff using Synonym vice Fully Qualified table Name?
::
::In article <D7tzLD.I0L_at_crash.cts.com> pme_at_crash.cts.com (Phil Melendez) writes:
::>To All,
::>
::>Is there any difference in performance when using synonyms vice the fully
::>qualified table name? Example:
::>
::> select emp_name, emp_code
::> from emp
::> where emp_name = 'John'
::>
::> select emp_name, emp_code
::> from misc.emp <--
::> where emp_name = 'John'
::>
::>
::>Thanks,
::>
::>Phil Melendez

 There used to be a *serious* performance hit using synonyms way back in  V5. I think these were mostly countered in V6 but I would conclude that  it must be *slighlty* faster using explicit owner.table since this will  save a search of user synonyms (and possibly public synonyms). I havn't  tested this so your mileage may vary. Under V7 with shared SQL I wonder  if using synonyms result in ORACLE determining that two users selecting  the same information from a synonym EMP are in fact two different  statements. It certainly would be if they were two different tables but  this depends on how ORACLE holds the statements in the shared pool.  Any one from ORACLE want to jump in on this one ?

 Since we developed systems way back in V5 and chose not to use synonyms  for various reasons, I still habitually write OWNER.TABLE. It works for me  and until it doesn't I'm not going to change.

--
| Ian Bainbridge           | bainbridge.i_at_bgers.co.uk|Phone: (44)191-216-0202|