Re: [Q]Any diff using Synonym vice Fully Qualified table Name?

From: <James>
Date: 1995/05/01

In article <D7tzLD.I0L_at_crash.cts.com> pme_at_crash.cts.com (Phil Melendez) writes:
>To All,
>
>Is there any difference in performance when using synonyms vice the fully
>qualified table name? Example:
>
> select emp_name, emp_code
> from emp
> where emp_name = 'John'
>
> select emp_name, emp_code
> from misc.emp <--
> where emp_name = 'John'
>

>Thanks,
>
>Phil Melendez

In performance, I don't know!!
In simplicity, ease, and PORTABILITY of code, Yes!

Eg

Table A created by User B.
User C also accesses this table.

Table X created by User Y.
User Z also accesses this table.

Table A and Table X are defined the same and contain the same type of information. (but don't have to be named the same)
Now...
Form A uses Table A for User B and User C. Form A uses Table X for User Y and User Z. I use the same form for all users.

In your case, Form A would use table EMP. EMP could be a synonym MISC.EMP or GARB.EMP, it doesn't matter, but you only need one form for all users.

Capish /*Sp???*/

More overhead in keeping track of synonyms, but well worth the code portability.

James Richard (JRICHARD_at_TUNS.CA)
"No Assembler Required!" Received on Mon May 01 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message