Oracle reports 2.x (x < 5) slow?

From: Andrew Jones (lrpr_at_unb.ca) <LRPR_at_UNB.CA>
Date: 1995/04/25

  We are currently running Oracle reports 2.0.14 on PC's in client-server mode. The PC's have 8 MB RAM, and windows swap files of 20 MB (contiguous). We are running a forms 3.0 app which calls the reports; we observe a delay of 3.5 minutes between the call to the report driver and the first line of our code being executed! Is this normal? Is there any way to leave the reports "set-up" in the background, so the lead time is reduced? Does Oracle reports 2.5 reduce this substantially? How about Crystal reports? Any other products.

  Andrew Jones (LRPR_at_UNB.CA) "##include <standard disclaimer>"

| "Give up, Earthlings! Your superior |
| intelligence is no match for our puny |
| weapons!" |
| (The Simpsons' Halloween II Aliens) |