concealing system password from AIX ps

From: <tritt_g_at_gw2.admin.ch>
Date: 1995/04/24

We have a problem protecting the information of system or sys passwords when we use scripts with SQL*Plus.

With exp and imp we can at least use a parameter file.

On our AIX machines the UNIX command ps ef returns the parameters to every command, so anyone can see sqlplus system/manager
(that's not really our password)
Other ps on other machines don't have this "feature", according to Oracle support.

Has anyone a solution? It should be easy ...

Please reply by email as our news is not held for long.

Graham Tritt graham.tritt_at_ste3.bfi.admin.ch Werner Schlueter (similar) Received on Mon Apr 24 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message