RE: oracle6 to foxpro

From: Paul Russell <prussell_at_fox.nstn.ns.ca>
Date: 1995/04/09

In message 7 Apr 1995 13:02:14 GMT,
  b94327_at_cs.ait.ac.th (Miss Ma Jessica S Cocjin) writes:

> is it possible to access the data in oracle6 by foxpro?
>
> if yes, can you please let me know how to do it?

Assuming that you are running FoxPro/Windows, you need to get the FoxPro Connectivity Kit and SQL*Net for both the PC and the Oracle Server. The Connectivity Kit allows you to sumbit ORACLE commands as text strings to the database and then retrieve the results in either a FoxPro cursor or a FoxPro database.

This connection works fairly well, and is somewhat quick. You can submit any command to that the database (depending on your permissions) with one exception (which is mentioned below), and this makes things fairly useful.

Since you connect through SQL*Net, rather than connecting through SQL*Plus, you have to remember that you are not really logged in to the server, rather you are logged into Oracle. You therefore only have permission to what Oracle itself can do, and you can't run any script or Pro*C programs that are not contained within the database.

Hope this helps.

/Paul

--

| Paul Russell | Phone: 902-481-4582 Fax: 902-468-3679 |
| Software Kinetics Ltd. | Internet: russell_at_atl.sofkin.ca |
| 201 Brownlow Avenue | Personal: prussell_at_fox.nstn.ns.ca |
| Dartmouth | "Make sure you use technology appropriately, |
| Nova Scotia, Canada | not just because it's cool." |
| B3B 1W2 | - E. Davidson |
| Contact me about the VISUAL FOXPRO PLUS Seminar -- May 8-12 in Halifax |
| Presented by the Fox Users of Nova Scotia and taught by Alan Schwartz |