Re: Diff. between v6 & 7??

From: Tony Rothwell <Tony_at_santen.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1995/04/04

In article: <199503312007.OAA17469_at_dlep1.itg.ti.com> sinh_at_dlep1.itg.ti.com (Arun Sinha) writes:

> Can some one tell me the major differences between versions 6 & 7.

I've got an Oracle7 Feature Summary from '92 that lists the following (remember, this is 7.0, so there's quite a few more differences now with 7.1, like symmetric replication, parallel stuff, etc.):

multithreaded server architecture
shared compiled SQL
intelligent optimiser
mirrored multi-segment log
ANALYZE command (table stats gathering)
TRUNCATE command (full table delete without undo) high speed bulk data loader
resource limiter
hashed data access
menu-driven database administration
dynamic system reconfiguration
reduced CPU and log data per transaction improved client/server messaging
faster recovery
mission critical quality (!)
declarative database integrity
stored procedures and functions
procedure packages
lock manager package
database triggers
database alerts
role-based security
ANSI/ISO standard SQL
security standard compliance
multi-media data support
trig/math functions
national language support
optimized transparent distributed queries distributed update and remote procedure calls transparent two-phase commit
advanced two-phase commit capabilities
TP monitor capability
protocol transparency and network routing global database names
remote database administration
table replication
transparent and programmable gateways
electronic mail interface Received on Tue Apr 04 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message