Re: Diff. between v6 & 7??

From: Bob Blizard <rblizard_at_bb.cmcsys.com>
Date: 1995/04/03

In article <199503312007.OAA17469_at_dlep1.itg.ti.com> sinh_at_dlep1.itg.ti.com (Arun Sinha) writes:
>From: sinh_at_dlep1.itg.ti.com (Arun Sinha)
>Subject: Diff. between v6 & 7??
>Date: 31 Mar 1995 14:36:10 -0600

>Can some one tell me the major differences between versions 6 & 7.

>Regards,

>Arun Sinha

I'll start. There are many, but here are the major ones, at least to my way of thinking.

  1. True referential integrity. In O6 you can declare foreign keys, but they are not enforced. In O7, foreign keys are enforced. This means a big improvement in data integrity; no more child rows without parents or lookup ids without lookups to look for.
  2. Stored procedures and triggers. This is a huge difference. Now you can do processing in your server for stuff that belongs there. For instance, use a trigger to verify that the person making the change to the salary is authorized for the amount of the change. Use one to automatically put a timestamp and user initials into audit column of a table on every insert or update. Stored procedures can do anything that PL/SQL can do, but do without having to pass the code to the server each time. Starting in 7.1 (I think) you can use stored code to create your own functions, and call them just as you would SQL functions.
  3. Roles. A role is a collection of system and table permissions, assigned to an object instead of a user. You can create the 'Bookkeeper' role, assign it the permissions it requires, and then grant the role to any user who is a bookkeeper. Roles are additive - assign several and the permissions will be the highest common denominator.
  4. Cost-Based Query Optimizer. If they get it to work correctly, it will be a great thing. Potentially better than a rule-based optimizer.
  5. SGA is more dynamic. Sort area spaces drop back in size when unused. Rollback segs also can be set up to drop back to an assigned 'optimal' size when they are no longer in use.

That's a start. Let's see what else others have to say...

Bob Blizard rblizard_at_bb.cmcsys.com | All these worthwhile

CMC Systems, Inc.                      | opinions are mine, and
175 Littleton Rd Westford, MA 01886 | not necessarily CMC's... Ph (508) 392-1300 Fax (508) 392-1303 | "If you want to park in the first row of life, you must go there first." Received on Mon Apr 03 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message