Re: Help! Server Down, Startup Cmmd not working

From: Steve Butler <sbut-is_at_seatimes.com>
Date: 1995/04/04

On 3 Apr 1995, Diamonds2 wrote:

> We did a shutdown abort to shutdown the database because of other system

                    ^^^^^^

I am presuming that a rather long or a large number of transactions were in progress on this database when it was shut down. That is the reason it is going no further than the mount state. The instance must clean up the database before putting everything back online. I had a situation that took 2 hours on a UNIXWARE box between the MOUNTED phrase and finishing the startup.

Hope this helps!

--Steve

PS. The more times you bounce this, the longer the final startup is going to take as it sorts everything out. Patience is the name of the game now.

| Steve Butler          Voice:  206-464-2998         |
| The Seattle Times       Fax:  206-382-8898         |
| PO Box 70          Internet:  sbut-is_at_seatimes.com |
| Seattle, WA 98111    Packet:  KG7JE_at_N6EQZ.WA       |
All standard and non-standard disclaimers apply. All other sources are annonymous. Received on Tue Apr 04 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message