Re: Help! Server Down, Startup Cmmd not working

From: Brian Graham <GrahamB_at_psac.com>
Date: 1995/04/04

In article <3lpsmc$h5r_at_newsbf02.news.aol.com>, diamonds2_at_aol.com (Diamonds2) says:

>We have a problem that I hope someone can help with immediately.
>
>We did a shutdown abort to shutdown the database because of other system
>problems not relating to Oracle. Now we are attempting to restart the
>Oracle server but the startup and the startup force cmmd is not working.
>It sits in the "Database Mounted" state. Any suggestions? BTW I tried the
>connect internal command and alter database mount cmmd with no luck!
>
>We have no Oracle support only the runtime libs for system 6 and no Oracle
>
>dba only me (I'm the Sybase DBA). I know its a dumb idea to not buy
>support
>but I just startecd working for this company and am pushing the issue.
>Appro 400 users are down, I need help now.
>
>Thanks
>Felicia

  SHUTDOWN ABORT terminates the instance without waiting on users to finish transactions in process etc. A recovery will be required on startup. This should be automatic, requiring no further intervention on your part. Just issue the normal startup command, but note that startup WILL TAKE LONGER. The amount of time depends on your redo log size/qty, possibly requesting archive files to be applied as well.
  The DBA manual says this about STARTUP FORCE:

        "Shuts down the current Oracle server instance (if it is running) with shutdown abort mode before restarting it. If the current instance is running and FORCE is not specified an error results. FORCE is useful while debugging and under abnormal circumstances - should not be used unless absolutely necessary."
  I have not had occasion to use this startup, even after a power failure with the rdbms up.

  	                                Brian
--
Brian Graham                    .
Programmer / DBA        ._______|_______. Tel: 613-560-5470