Re: Security question: sqlplus and the ps cmd on Unix

From: Gary Broxterman <Gbroxterman_at_hertz.com>
Date: 1995/04/03

What we did was write a C program that will pipe the output into sqlplus.

We have a master script called SQLplus that actually executes the C program. All production sql jobs then call this SQLplus script with the actual sql code fed in with 'here documents' .

#!/bin/ksh
# Script name: SQLplus
# Function   : Driver script to send userid/passwd to sqlplus
# Calls      : pwdpgm (password program).
# Returns    : nothing

pwdpgm | sqlplus -s

# end

The password program accepts a userid. The password for that user is then returned in the format of userid/passwd.

The only problem with this, is that when the applications programmers need to get a "FIRECALL" id to fix a production problem. They are able to run the pwdpgm directly and return the password. WE then must change it each time.

In article <3legd1$d9t_at_nic.ott.hookup.net>, GrahamB_at_psac.com (Brian Graham) says: