Re: Shutdown with username system-VAX-VMS

From: PETER I JOHNSON <JOHNSON_PETER_I_at_d49.lilly.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 95 14:59:12 PST

>Subject: Shutdown with username system-VAX-VMS
>From: Francisco Rodriguez, toledo_at_sess01.rdp.asi.alcatel.es
>Date: 27 Mar 1995 16:27:23 GMT
>In article <3l6p1b$4ru_at_sess02.rdp.asi.alcatel.es> Francisco Rodriguez,
>toledo_at_sess01.rdp.asi.alcatel.es writes:
>>When using the command procedure to shutdown the database with username
>>SYSTEM on a system VAX - VMS, the shutdown abort with error :
>>
>>!!! system UIC group members are not allowed to use ORACLE DBA COMMANDS.
>>
>>why??
>>
>>how to make what for username SYSTEM (no others).?????
>>
>>Thank!s.
>
>My understanding is that ORACLE puts that check in for some type of
>security reason. However, one of our system managers called Oracle, and
>they said that it would be ok to remove the check when doing a shutdown.
>
>If you look at ORA_DB:SHUTDOWN_instance.COM, where 'instance' is your
>instance name, you will see the lines that check the user's UIC against
>the system parameter that identifies SYSTEM uics. We remove those lines.
>
>As mentioned in another post, you do have to grant ORA_DBA to SYSTEM,
>otherwise it won't be able to do a connect internal.
>
>Another possibility might be to have SYSTEM do a SET UIC ORACLE. I
>haven't tried that, but since the command procedure is validating the
>UIC, I would think that that would work.

 Bob suggests that you try a SET UIC ORACLE. This does not always work if your are running procedures. I have found it more reliable to use a batch submission of the job with the /USER=ORACLE flag set. This then works fine. It also has the advantage when used as part of a procedure, of not holding up the procedure if the shutdown does not complete for some reason. In our procedure we wait a bit after doing a SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE, then check see if the instance is still running, and if so ABORT it. Received on Wed Mar 29 1995 - 00:59:12 CEST

Original text of this message