Re: Shutdown with username system-VAX-VMS

From: Bob Swisshelm <swisshelm_at_lilly.com>
Date: 28 Mar 95 06:41:30 EST

Subject: Shutdown with username system-VAX-VMS From: Francisco Rodriguez, toledo_at_sess01.rdp.asi.alcatel.es Date: 27 Mar 1995 16:27:23 GMT
In article <
3l6p1b$4ru_at_sess02.rdp.asi.alcatel.es> Francisco Rodriguez, toledo_at_sess01.rdp.asi.alcatel.es writes:
>When using the command procedure to shutdown the database with username
>SYSTEM on a system VAX - VMS, the shutdown abort with error :
>
>!!! system UIC group members are not allowed to use ORACLE DBA COMMANDS.
>
>why??
>
>how to make what for username SYSTEM (no others).?????
>
>Thank!s.

My understanding is that ORACLE puts that check in for some type of security reason. However, one of our system managers called Oracle, and they said that it would be ok to remove the check when doing a shutdown.

If you look at ORA_DB:SHUTDOWN_instance.COM, where 'instance' is your instance name, you will see the lines that check the user's UIC against the system parameter that identifies SYSTEM uics. We remove those lines.

As mentioned in another post, you do have to grant ORA_DBA to SYSTEM, otherwise it won't be able to do a connect internal.

Another possibility might be to have SYSTEM do a SET UIC ORACLE. I haven't tried that, but since the command procedure is validating the UIC, I would think that that would work.

Bob Swisshelm | swisshelm_at_Lilly.com | 317 276 5472 Eli Lilly and Company | Lilly Corporate Center | Indianapolis, IN 46285 Received on Tue Mar 28 1995 - 13:41:30 CEST

Original text of this message