Re: SQL*Net over WANs

From: Shaggy D <shaggyd_at_aol.com>
Date: 22 Mar 1995 22:47:50 -0500

>My problem is that I have heard
>there are grave problems in running SQL *Net over wide area networks.

>Can anyone shed any light on this while the project is still in the
 design
>stage and we can do something about it?

Not sure if can shed any light but ... we run SQL*Net between our offices (we have 6) over a
WAN at 56KB speed via frame-relay links. We have no problems. It's slow using ODBC, faster using Oracle Objects for OLE, fastest yet using SQL Forms. Although
none are really what I would call "fast" ;-). We are not yet running SQL*Net 2.0. We've
had problems with it unrelated to the WAN so we're holding back on migrating yet from
our older version.

Hope this helps.
Eric Dirst
BSG Alliance/IT
alt. address: eric_dirst_at_notes.bsginc.com

Any opinions expressed here are not necessarily the opinions of my employer. Received on Thu Mar 23 1995 - 04:47:50 CET

Original text of this message