Re: Accessing a Unix Server from OS/2

From: Tim Rand <tim_at_datapage.com>
Date: 22 Mar 1995 23:19:11 GMT

In article <lfeges.15.2F6CA07A_at_hookup.net>, lfeges_at_hookup.net (Louis Feges) wrote:

> One of my customers is running a windows-based client-server application on
> OS2. The server is an IBM R/6000. They had to pay for a 'special' net
 related
> product from Oracle to get it all working. I don't know of any 'direct'
> OS2-to-oracle connections. If you find otherwise, please mail me.
>
> \louis
>
> In article <3kchnh$fa0_at_charles.cdec.polymtl.ca> cormier_at_step.polymtl.ca
 (Mario
> Cormier) writes:
>
> >I am currently developing an application which wil have to be linked
> >to a Unix server running Oracle. What I want to know is what do I need
> >in order to achieve that goal? Are there many options available? I
> >heard about SQLNET for Windows. Is there an OS/2 version of that?
> >And what does it accomplish exactly?

You have a few options. Probably you want to use the Oracle Tools (SQL*FORMS, SQL*REPORTS, etc) on OS/2 acting as clients to the server on the R/6000. In this instance, you simply order the client tools and SQL*NET (TCP/IP I would guess) that you need for the client side. They run windowed under OS/2. I have not tried the Windows versions under OS/2 but there you probably need additional software to handle the network translation.

If you want Windows as the client environment, that is a different issue and doesnt directly relate to OS/2.

Also, Oracle RDBMS Servers (6 and 7) are available for OS2. So, your OS/2 machine can be the DB server. SQL*NET clients can access it over either TCP/IP or SPX/IPX (Novell).

If you need more info, E-Mail me directly.

--
Reply to "Tim Rand" <tim_at_datapage.com>    All messages will get a response.