Re: How to create a new database in detail ?

From: Bob Blizard <rblizard_at_bb.ultranet.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 1995 21:18:29 GMT

In article <3kde20$b2j_at_aladdin.iii.org.tw> polasec_at_TPTS1.seed.net.tw (polasec) writes:
>From: polasec_at_TPTS1.seed.net.tw (polasec)
>Subject: How to create a new database in detail ?
>Date: 18 Mar 1995 01:46:40 GMT

>How to create a new database in detail ?

Do you mean from scratch, no instance installed at all? Use orainst.

Do you mean an additional instance on a machine where one already exists? If that is the case, the best approach is to script the creation so you can be sure you haven't forgotten anything. I have a script I use as my base, but it's in the office and I'm at home... email me and I'd be happy to provide a copy for you.

Oracle also has a publication titled Oracle For unix Performance Tuning Tips. Publication # is 53134-0293. This has lots of excellent suggestions.

Basic steps:
1. Decide how much space, and where it will go. Try as much as possible to keep separate each of the following:

	Data files
	Index files
	Rollback Segments
	Redo Logs, and archived redo logs, if you will be using.
	Temporary tablespace.

This is the single most important step, I think (aside from database design, tuning, and application access). Arrange your data poorly and you will pay in poor performance.

2. Create file systems and directories to hold your data. I strongly suggest you follow Oracle's recommendation for naming conventions:

/usr01/ORACLE/instance_name/datafilename01.dbf
/usr01/ORACLE/anotherinstance_name/datafilename01.dbf
/usr02/ORACLE/instance_name/indexfilename01.dbf
		.
		.

etcetera

3. Create an init<instance>.ora. If your database will have any table which have very wide rows, or which are large, make the block size 4096. Size other parameters appropriately.

4. Put an entry in your /etc/oratab file for your new instance.

5. Script the actual create statements.

6. Start sqldba and connect internal. Run the create script.

7. If you are still bewildered, call on someone like my firm to come in and help you out.

This is incomplete, but outlines the basic steps. Hope it helps some.

Bob Blizard
CMC Systems, Inc.
175 Littleton Road Westford, MA 01886
508.392.1300 Fax 508.392.1303 Received on Fri Mar 17 1995 - 22:18:29 CET

Original text of this message