Re: Oracle for NT - FAT or NTFS?

From: Joe Nardone <nardone_at_clark.net>
Date: 15 Mar 1995 15:20:13 GMT

Bruce MacDonald (Bruce_MacDonald_at_mindlink.bc.ca) wrote:
: In article <3k4gig$nrr_at_explorer.csc.com>, spelegan_at_csc.com [Stew Pelegan] says:
: >
: >In <3jqm8d$2g7_at_explorer.csc.com>, spelegan_at_csc.com [Stew Pelegan] writes:
: >>I'm getting 3 Windows NT 3.5 machines in a couple of days and I've been asked
: >>to install Oracle 7 on one of them. For some reason, I think I read something
: >>somewhere that either Oracle or one of its optional products could only be
: >>installed on a FAT disk. Can anyone confirm or deny this very vague memory?
: >>Thanks.
: >>

 [snip]
: This material appears to be out of date. The current release of NT is 3.5,
: not 3.1.

: I'm running the latest Workgroup Server (7.1.4) AND the CDE2 tools on NTFS
: right now, with no apparent problems. I think Oracle Book 2 had some problems
: under NTFS, but there is a way to work around them -- I don't use Book much
: so I can't remember the details.

: FAT might be slightly faster (I haven't checked) but NTFS has other advantages
: such as security, long file names etc, which make it worthwhile.

: Bruce MacDonald Bruce_MacDonald_at_mindlink.bc.ca
: Database Consultant
: Cornerstone Computer Associates Inc.
: Chairperson, Vancouver Oracle Users Group

An old co-worker of mine installed Oracle on his NT box a few months ago, and in particular Oracle Report Writer required a FAT partition for (I believe) temporary file space, because of a bug^H^H^Hfeature of the software.

Joe

disclaimer: I haven't done the install firsthand so this is all hearsay.

Joe Nardone          |  "                          ." - excerpt
nardone_at_clark.net    |    from the Richard Nixon White House Tapes