Re: Mystique: Locks, Constraints and Indexes

From: Pavan Muzumdar <pmuzu_at_ctp.com>
Date: 13 Mar 1995 15:36:03 GMT

In article <3jl16j$qig_at_zorn.mnet.medstroms.se>, Pauli Salmu <p.salmu_at_mn.medstroms.se> writes:
|> We were getting strange deadlocks in our production DB and finally
|> happened to discover that they had something to do with constraints.
|> Then we got some help from the local Oracle representatives who said
|> that you probably must index every column that has a foreign key
|> constraint. Seems crazy, but we tried and here's a simple test.
|> DB version is 7.0.15.5.1 in Netware.

.... <Example deleted>

|> I can't find anything about this in any manual. Am I dyslexic?
|> Can anyone give a logical explanation and/or reasonable solution
|> ("get Sybase...")?

Actually this is documented in the "Application Developer's Guide" in the chapter on maintaining data integrity.

Pavan.

Pavan V. Muzumdar
Cambridge Technology Partners, Cambridge, MA 02139. USA. Tel: (617) 374-9800 Fax: (617) 374-8300 E-mail: pmuzu_at_ctp.com Received on Mon Mar 13 1995 - 16:36:03 CET

Original text of this message