Re: Newbie Q: Oracle and Novell

From: Paul Singer <singerap_at_powergrid.electriciti.com>
Date: 12 Mar 1995 18:41:15 GMT

hight_at_iquest.net (~name) wrote:

> In article <3jkmcf$qa_at_anshar.shadow.net>, dgilbert_at_shadow.net_at_shadow.net
> says:
> >
> >I have a simple question:
> >
> > What should the performance of a Oracle 7 server (Compaq Proliant)
 using
> > the novell version be?
> Hint Oracle is memory hogs.

Your hit ratios look good. Several years ago we were contemplating which envirnment to work with. We benchmarked Oracle (6) NLM vs Btrieve. Oracle was faster on almost all counts.

We also use Powerbuilder. We have found that most of the slowness of our applicatins are directly atributable to PowerBuilder.

To test this you should run the same selects using SQL*Plus.

My experence with this envirnment would lead me to believe that you should be getting subsecond respons for any simple query. Updating a single colum with 30k rows should only take a few seconds to a minut at most.

You should examin where and how big your rollback segments are. Where and how big your temporay tablespace is etc.

Overall Oracle on Netware is the best performing soulition from Oracle. This is because Oracle does not need to contend with a real operatint system and Netwarse file IO is some of the best in the business.

I have heard of sites that support as many as 250 users on a single netware server. (Transaction load IS light however.)

Hope this helps Received on Sun Mar 12 1995 - 19:41:15 CET

Original text of this message