Newbie Q: Oracle and Novell

From: <dgilbert_at_shadow.net_at_shadow.net>
Date: 8 Mar 1995 16:35:27 GMT

I have a simple question:

    What should the performance of a Oracle 7 server (Compaq Proliant) using     the novell version be?

We are trying to pick up the pieces of a really messed up Oracle/PowerBuilder system and are having loads of trouble figuring out a baseline for Oracle after coming from a FoxPro type background.

Simple queries can take > 6 seconds to retrieve 300 records off a small table. Updating a 12,000 record database (changing one field from one number to another) is taking upwards of 5 minutes (huh?!?!). Is this even in the ballpark?? Sure doesn't sound like it is to us!

I've checked the SGA buffer and came up with these statistics:

                          Executions        Misses              Percent
  Library Cache       985,313             4310                0.43%
  Data Dict.           6,291,325          38,383                0.61%
  Buffer Cache is running at > 95% cache hits as well.

All of these are considered "norm" according to Oracle manuals.

Anyone have any ideas where to start. The "tuning" section in the Oracle manuals has already been gone over, and I've been through the init.ora file as well and I can't see what I need to change, but the performance (or complete lack thereof) is beginning to make us seriously start thinking about something else!

Thanks for any help! Received on Wed Mar 08 1995 - 17:35:27 CET

Original text of this message