Re: Delphi vs Forms and PowerBuilder

From: Carlos Recalde <crecalde_at_panix.com>
Date: 7 Mar 1995 21:52:59 -0500

In <1995Mar3.132647.1_at_orion.yorku.ca> as360114_at_orion.yorku.ca writes:

>Borland announced the Delphi product in mid-February, and said that it works
>with Oracle. All the reviews I read about Delphi claim that it the best
>development tool ever.

>Has anyone compared it to Forms 4.5 or powerbuilder, and confirmed that it
>works with Oracle? Any further information about using it as a front end
>development environment for an Oracle database is greatly appreciated.

I haven't worked with Delphi extensively, while I have with the CDE toolkit. However, some of my associates have worked extensively with Delphi, and they report that it is a great development platform. Unfortunately, at this time it seems to work best with the Borland database engine (Interbase derivative). Access to outside databases is thru ODBC and aparently, while the Borland staff is doing an excellent job of supporting Delphi, they are not yet dedicating a whole lot of effort to outside database access. My understanding is that you will need to make absolutely sure to use the exact version of SQL*Net that the Borland staff has tested with. This may not be the latest and greatest, and they may not have tested against your back-end platform yet.

One more thing - If you need to deploy for any non-Windows clients, forget Delphi. Borland is quite adamant that they will not port Delphi to any other environment anytime soon. Given their current financial condition, I think it is wise of them to stick to their strengths. Received on Wed Mar 08 1995 - 03:52:59 CET

Original text of this message