CDE2 for 3-tier CS/TP?

From: <glong_at_magna.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 1995 14:21:08 GMT

In a posting to comp.database.oracle, Dennis Moore (dbmoore_at_oracle.com) responded to an inquiry about Forte. In his response, he spoke of Oracle CDE2 as an appropriate tool for constructing high-volume 3-tier TP apps.

I am curious about CDE2. Moore says :

> ... [Forte comments omitted] ... most analysts
>define second generation client/server to mean something along the lines of:
>
>* Supports application partitioning and distributed database
>* Professional, productive, portable interfaces for developers and end users
>* Flexible methodology support, including rapid application development
 (RAD),
> rigorous (sorry -- US-ism ;-) full life cycle, and business process
> reengineering (BPR)
>* Object oriented, including component support
>* Highly scalable
>* Open and interoperable

 [...]
>CDE2 supports all of the above. CDE1, on whose strengths CDE2 was built
>(of course, we eliminated all the weaknesses -- we hope!), supported most of
>the above. In particular, CDE1 was highly scalable -- we have many users in
>production today on CDE1 with multiple thousands of concurrent users. CDE2,
>with its support for application partitioning, should take our customers
 even
>further.

I have no particular reason to doubt the above, as I am not familiar with CDE2. But I am curious to know if it really builds 3-tier, is "Highly scalable, is "Open and interoperable", etc.

Also, can ANYONE point me to a CDE1 site with "multiple thousands of concurrent users". I have just not seen sites like this without a TP Monitor and would love to talk to someone at such a site.

  • Gary
Gary Long                                                   glong_at_magna.com
Vice President, Product Development
Magna Software Corporation                              Phone: 703/222-3500
12450 Fair Lakes Parkway                                  Fax: 703/222-8433
Fairfax, Virginia 22033

Technical data on "MAGNA X" CS/TP Application Generator info_at_magna.com Received on Fri Mar 03 1995 - 15:21:08 CET

Original text of this message